Off the Pan, Into the Fire

My journey through the realm of raising our sons...

Saturday, April 07, 2012

Bastard

I built myself a new PC. The past three desktop PCs have been ordered from Dell. It was always the same, start with a budget, determine the base model, modify a bit here and there, and order. A few days later a box arrives and the software personalization begins. The machines have always been solid performers, if not a tad overpriced. I guess that's the price of comfort.

This time I read, reviewed, edited, and finally ordered the parts to build one for myself. For half of the price I paid in 2007, I now have a much more capable and (potentially) reliable machine. Components were selected that are solid & dependable, not necessarily to squeeze out the best megahertz. I understand the parts inside, why they are there. I have an operating system installed without bloat-ware. It was a fun, nerve-racking experience.

It has now been two weeks; I've tweaked, added peripheral hardware, installed drivers & programs, changed my file layout and associated backup strategies. I believe the machine is now complete, it just needs to be used.

But I have a dilemma, what do I call it? It seems that I called all the previous machines "the Dell" because they were, well, from Dell. This one was built by me, for me. It is not a system from Dell, IBM, whomever. I could call it "desktop," but that has no character, soul. The case is from Lian-Li, a nice subdued black with those words embossed in a silvery-gray, bit those words have no emotional attachment to the effort, nor to the components inside.

I have a mechanical pet, maybe even akin to a mechanical child, and it is my responsibility to name it. But it has no mother, no second legitimate parent. Maybe I'll just call it "Bastard"...

2 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, you blog more than you tell your Mother!

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You blog more than you tell your own Mother...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home