Off the Pan, Into the Fire

My journey through the realm of raising our sons...

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Crying through coffee time

I'm sorry my cry'n kid ruined your day.

When we entered the coffee shop I knew it was gonna be a difficult visit. Liam walked in and immediately wanted to leave. I went in anyway. He wouldn't stay with me so I had to hold him while I got the eats & beverages. He was fussy the whole time, but settled as we sat down. He then started acting shy & withdrawn, head down, hands over eyes, not too engaging. I thought we had turned the corner when he ate some muffin & drank some milk.

And then the other parent & child joined us. Ka-Pow. Crying, struggling to get out of the chair, not responding to me. So I lifted him out and placed him on the floor. He spent the next fifteen minutes crying on the floor. The people next to me all commiserated, they had kids, they understood.

But not the middled-aged business man. They were "trying to have a meeting," Liam's crying was disturbing them and he asked if there was anything I could do. Sorry bud. Five minutes later an employee asked. Hmmm, you mean I still have been intentionally NOT doing anything I could be doing?

We left.

I do empathize with the patrons, but sheez louis. He wasn't being a brat, no throwing, no screeching, no yelling. Just crying. Am I expected to time the crying and leave after some magical, arbitrary length of time? Is there some bit of etiquette that would have me depart after said time period? We have kids, it's enough to protect them from you, now I have to protect you from them?

Was that applause after we left?

1 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger mamaruns said...

Sigh. Damn crabby business man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home