Off the Pan, Into the Fire

My journey through the realm of raising our sons...

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Parenting?

It's been about two years, but I finally got around to making a batch of beer. Irish Stout, using a kit from Midwest Supplies, to be exact. The specific gravity started at 1.046, in about two weeks we'll see about the final SG and alcohol content. The house has a wonderful bouquet, we'll see if Shanna agrees.

While I missed the camaraderie of Mike E. as during our Az brewing sessions, I do have his spirit, and some of his equipment, around now. In the interest of full disclosure, I did not have a beer while brewing this batch. When I started it was only about 1:30 PM, during the kids naps, and a bit early in the day to have one without reinforcements.

Galen wasn't impressed with the taste of the malt extract. He described it as "jammy."

I'm not sure how this ranks up there in the annals of parenting, but it has mega-bonus points for the future potential of keeping one's sanity.

3 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you use dry yeast or the smack pack?

You have grown young padawan...

This comment was powered by a Rogue's Mocha Porter and a Red Hook Long Hammer

Mike

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Leland said...

I used the Irish Ale Wyeast 1084 smack pack.

It was bubbling on day two...

 
At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make your Mom proud. I can't wait to sample the beer on my next visit. Sounds like a parenting tool to me!

Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home