Off the Pan, Into the Fire

My journey through the realm of raising our sons...

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Brothers in arms

Our house is often noisy; Boris barking at trucks and dogs, Liam speaking loudly, Galen streaming his thoughts. Occasionally we break the cacophony with music, electronica seems to be the kid's current favorite. Many of the noises I simply ignore. Sometimes I get edgy and demand lower decibels.

So here I am, going about my business when I hear Galen spewing loud, mean, unbrotherly things at Liam. Not bad enough for me to intervene, mind you, but enough to cause me a bit more attention to the listening. The spewing of brotherly love is mixed with thumps. The kind made when bodies are thrashing around on the floor, furniture being bumped, arms flailing.

Energy is being expended. Brothers are having a bit of physical play.

By now Galen's declarations are a bit more energetic, emphatic. I can hear his laughter getting ragged, his pitch a bit higher. It's time for me to look at whatever activity has been entertaining my ears.

I find that Liam has pinned Galen face down. Liam has all of his weight upon his older, taller brother, legs intertwined, one of his arms are wrapped in there somewhere.

And Liam just looks at me with this maniacal grin, gives me a thumbs up, all the while shaking his head yes....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home