Off the Pan, Into the Fire

My journey through the realm of raising our sons...

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Rocky died last night

Last night, as I was sitting in our easy chair, Rocky walked over and curled up next to me. Ten minutes later he stretched out his head, sighed, and passed away. After eight wondrous years, he is gone, taken by canine cancer.

He was a gentle, stoic, loving, strong and protective friend. He trudged through swamps and rivers, conquered mountains, and endured hours bouncing around the back end of our truck. He never complained, except to get to my food or beer. He was happy to do anything if just to be with his pack. He kept the monsters at bay.

My memories shall keep his spirit, the look of that handsome face and playful swagger.

Our pack is diminished. I feel hollow. Lost. Cheerless. My friend Rocky is gone, never to walk beside me again.

Good bye.

3 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My loverboy, rockhead, protector, goofuss, buddy is gone. You're the standard against which all others will be measured...and none will compare. I love you. I miss you.

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how much he will be missed. He was a true friend and companion as well as protector to the family. I do truly appreciate and understand what you're going through. Love you guys!

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rocky was a special guy. I remember so many funny things he did! I loved watching him sit on the couch! You would have to see that to appreciate it! He and the family just came to visit in Indiana and he was every inch the gentleman with our new dog Molly. He was loved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home