Off the Pan, Into the Fire

My journey through the realm of raising our sons...

Saturday, November 03, 2012

I was scared

Six people, not one a native English speaker, were looking at me. Waiting for me. Listening to me.

I had finally stepped out beyond the home. For seven years, my focus has been on the home. The kids, the chores, the humdrum crap that it takes to have a household. Now I was sitting in from of a group of immigrants that wanted to learn English. Hellfire, I'm not that great at my mother tongue. But here they were,. eager to speak with a volunteer to better their command of our language.

We had adult-speak. We weren't talking about chores, groceries, dishes, school, or growing up. We were speaking objectives, goals, politics, cultural norms, neighbors, driving, voting. We were talking meaty, real life stuff.

It's a start. I am still scared. But I'll go back and try yet again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home