Off the Pan, Into the Fire

My journey through the realm of raising our sons...

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The White Spirits

Inertia, that's all there is too it. For years I used the same shaving cream, Edge. Sometimes it was the soothing aloe, sometimes the sensitive skin. I liked the gel type of shaving cream over the foam types, think Barbasol. But then I went through the hunt for the next great blade.

I've never had an old fashioned straight-razor shave. I've never had the experience of a hot, steaming towel wrapped around my face, heard the razor being pulled back and forth the strop. I've bever trusted a barber to not slice open my neck.

My experience with razors (and shaving cream) has been fairly traditional American (disposable) and not very imaginative. This picture covers a range of my path through shaving hell, and maturity. In my foregone past I traveled through several "safety" razors. Single, double, triple, quad... Seems that every few years the razors grow another blade.


The dark ages were the first single- and double-blade disposable safety razors. Those were the years I struggled to control the loss of flesh, and how to staunch the flow of blood from a fresh razor wound. I do not have fond memories of these shaving years.

Several months ago, it was time to buy more blades, Gillette Atra Plus, and I became decidedly peeved at the cost. I looked at options, I ruled out buying a straight blade. I ruled out an electric shaver. Then an add for another blade, Harry's, appeared on my horizon. I made the leap and bought a kit, it included blades, handles, and shaving cream. I can't say the cost was substantially less, but it offered more blades per cartridge and I thought they'd be worth at least a try.

What does any of this have to do with White Spirits? It was the shaving cream. Harry's shaving cream arrived in a tube, similar to toothpaste. One gets their face wet, squeeze out some cream, and lather it up. After years of foam I learned, decided, that I preferred lathering up a shaving cream over spreading a foam.

So, what to do with cans of shaving cream that I no longer used or needed? Gave it to the kids, of course. They sprayed it all about, lathered up their faces, hair, and bodies. And it was hilarious. I just might buy some cheap stuff in the future for more fun-n-games...


And for the rest of the pics, CLICKY CLICKY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home